Modification of Court Orders in Texas Family Court

There are some decisions made in a divorce that, once they have been entered in a divorce decree, are unchangeable. There are other issues that are never fully closed. Such is the case with child support and, to a lesser extent, child custody.

Texas family law is responsive to the changing needs of children and parents. When a clear case can be made to change an existing child support order or child custody and visitation agreement, a judge will modify the initial court order.

Developing an effective case that convinces a court it should order modification is the work of a family law attorney. It’s why parents in the San Antonio area have been working with The Law Offices of John A. Mead since 1975.

If you need legal help bringing a child support or child custody case back to Texas family court, contact me, attorney John Mead. I can advise you on how the court will view your request and help you build a strong case.

Modification of Child Support

It’s quite common for child support to change as a child grows. Children’s needs change in predictable, and sometimes unpredictable ways. Daycare costs may increase or decrease, the child may go to a private school or transfer to public school, a medical condition may develop. These are all child-focused reasons that you may request a change in support. On the other hand, if you are a non-custodial (non-possessory) parent, you may request a reduction in child support if you have had a reduction in income and you may ask the court to consider your financial situation if you have additional children to support.

Modification of Child Custody

Child custody is much more difficult to change, especially for young children or soon after an initial child custody ruling. If your original ruling was less than a year ago, you will need to show that the custodial parent is unfit. On the other hand, if your child’s needs have changed (a school closer to the other parent’s home, a parent more capable of addressing a child’s medical needs, etc.), you will find the court to be supportive of modifications to a child custody order, especially for older children.

Modification of Alimony (Spousal Support)

Spousal maintenance may be reduced or terminated if a former spouse is remarried or cohabiting with another person on a continuing, conjugal basis. Spousal maintenance may be reduced based upon the circumstances of the payor, but circumstance of the spouse receiving support will not lead to an increase in payment.

Contact Our Modification of Court Orders Lawyer Today

If you have questions about bringing a motion to court for a modification of alimony or support, or a change in custody, contact my San Antonio law office to schedule a free initial consultation.

Areas of Practice

Schedule A Free Consultation

Scroll to Top